Skip to main content

The ruthless world and I - a rant

I

No one has ever taught me to put myself first. Growing up, I always saw my mother put the largest piece of fish on my sister’s plate, then the second-largest on mine, then the third-largest on my father’s and she would beam with satisfaction and joy as she served herself with the smallest piece of fish. They say that human beings of my kind, I mean, people who grew up with emotional abandonment and its resultant depression are often people-pleasers, and I can never make them understand that the reason I always put the largest piece of fish on my roommate’s plate is not because doing that makes them think highly of me, makes them love me, but because that’s what I have been taught at home, to find satisfaction in other’s joy. It bewilders me, pains me to think of the fact that I have grown to be so mentally unstable. Every phase of my life brings about new challenges. Let me rephrase that. Being an ambitious woman, I have never feared challenges. I am in fact very fond of them in a way. I started to financially support my family when I was 21, with my scholarship money and sporadic dance tuitions. I left home at 23 because there was nothing that could withhold me. My father who never respected me or my opinion until I started to earn, my mother who loved my father enough to support him in everything that he did, and not speak a word if he did anything wrong. How could I blame her? She could never even stand up for herself, when she was beaten, when she was tortured. And then all I had was my sister, who is also depressed like me. Her depression makes sense. Her down’s syndrome and cognitive inabilities make her uncompetitive and distressed as all her peers pass her by in the race of life. There is nothing anyone can do about it. There is nothing I can do about it no matter how terrible it makes me feel.

II

I knew that challenges were going to be abundant and how, but I never imagined about the emotional challenges that I would have to face, the twisted difficulties, the dead-end confusions of relationships. I have never been taught to love on the surface. You might say that what I mean is that I don’t know how to draw boundaries. That’s probably not the truth. When I say that I do not love superficially, what I mean is that in any relationship, I like to explore the depths of the feelings keeping the circumferences intact. And yet, every-time my feelings have brought me to ruins. Struggling with so much of mental health issues, I feel nothing short of an insane, crazy person today. Love has given me nothing but horrible anxiety, severe depression, memory loss, lack of sleep, hot flushes every now and then, dizziness, drowsiness, unhealthy eating habits. And yet, there is this tiny part of me that never stops hoping, that remains maverick, tells me that no matter what may come my way, I wouldn’t let the cruel world change me into a person who never feels anything. No matter what catastrophe downs upon me, this tiny part will never let me refute to selfish quests, to turn a deaf ear to all those people, strangers, who suffer out there, and for whom my heart has always bled, my eyes have always wept. Because that tiny part is what makes up my core, the truest and the rawest form of me, something that I was born with, all the other parts are just acquired from experiences- the good and the bad.

 

III

“Those who don’t belong any specific place can’t, in fact, return anywhere. The concepts of exile and return imply a point of origin, a homeland. Without a homeland and without a true mother tongue, I wander the world, even at my desk. In the end I realize that it wasn’t a true exile: far from it. I am exiled even from the definition of exile.” (In Altre Parole, Jhumpa Lahiri, 2015)

At times, I sit to evaluate the losses and gains of life. I look up, in the hope that the one I am looking up to notices me, hears me, or at least exists beyond the figment of my imagination and ask him, hopelessly, why he decided that I deserved all this pain when I didn’t even ask for any of this. I stopped asking for friends when all I got through school were people who piqued on my abandonment depression. I stopped asking for anyone to love me after the college senior decided to leave me, someone she once called ‘family’. The world tramples on people like me in the race of life. The world tramples on people who grew up not knowing how to feel safe confiding in the people they call family. To find love outside home is a dangerous exercise. I understood this when I was 19. Ever since, I have never let anyone access the core of my being, that was soft, caring, loving and accepting of one and all. I have loved people only when they have loved me. I have only let myself be vulnerable when I knew that the person in question is trustworthy. But little did I know that trustworthy people change too. People change. All the time. They become what suits them better, what makes them more successful, worthy, lovable. What serves their interests. And nothing is more important than that.

 

IV

At this point of life when I honestly feel like I am dying, when the pain is just immensely unbearable and confounding, the person causing it is just gone. I trusted the person with my life. I thought that the person would always think about my best interests like I did for them. Now that I am almost on the verge of death, only two things go on in circles in my mind. First that the person that I trusted so much and loved with all of my heart isn’t here by my side when I need them, they can go on their life like they did before I existed, they can go on uninterrupted, they can go love the people they love, I just mean nothing. All of this hurt, no matter who caused it, is mine at the end of the day. Its mine to deal with, it’s mine to bear and nobody cares to put their hand out when I need it. I am as good as dead. (I do not know if this is jealousy or just humane. I have never wanted to cause pain to anyone, and yet, always wallowed in pain myself. When did I give out so much bad karma that it’s boomeranging on me now? It’s confounding and I feel a part of me being condescending on myself for it, maybe rightly so.) And the second, my father’s words resonate in my head. ‘You have a lot of responsibilities.’ I have the responsibility of my aging parents; I have the responsibility of my sister who I have taken legal guardianship of. What a pitiful thing to say this is, but, how privileged and lucky are those people who can end their lives in peace. How peaceful it must feel to cut off all the ties from worldly maya.

The world is not made for people like me. I am better off dead. I should die.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye Oksana

Human beings no matter where they go in the world, will always seek home:  in places, in people, in things, and in food. Perhaps because at the end of the day one wants to be vulnerable and yet are loved. We search for a setting where not the flesh, not the bones, but the very soul beneath it is adored and cradled like a newborn, squealing, and needy for love.  As long as I lived with my family, I never realized the worth of home, unless one day, I was out in the wide world, alone, apprehensive, and being indoctrinated by societal norms every single day. The only pockets of peace that I was left with was a 'chosen family': a farrago of strangers that I met, and before I could decide to love or hate them, I was entangled with them like wollen strands in the mesh of a new warm cardigan. I have lived with a plethora of strangers, loved them, held them close in my most vulnerable moments, and then cried bitterly when we parted. After a time, both parties agreed on their fate and mo

Desertion

We sat amidst piles of memories  And rubbles of hope Savoring our last cup of coffee together  We laughed so hard that I spilled coffee on my dress And then you laughed a little more. ... Even with your back turned to me As you frivolously tucked  your books into blasé Amazon boxes I could feel your beautiful blue eyes  blurring with silent tears,  just as mine. ... Our love is stranded today at the edge of the door It's time to bid adieu "Fare thee well" , I say And then you turn around  to smile ... Flashes through my eyes  those three-sixty-five days of you and me like it was i decade since I had held you close  and then like everyone I have ever loved,  you had to go ...

শ্রীচরণেষু মা - A series of unsent letters to my mother

পর্ব - ১   শ্রীচরণেষু মা,  আজ খুব ভোরে ঘুম ভেঙে যায়, কোনো দুঃস্বপ্ন দেখছিলাম কিনা বলতে পারিনা তবে মন বড় অস্থির হয়ে পড়েছিল নিদ্রাভঙ্গের সময়। তারপর একেবারে বিছানা ছেড়ে উঠে কিছুক্ষন যাবৎ কালকের লেখা একটা খসড়া নিয়ে বসলাম ব্লগ এ আপলোড করবো বলে ; করতে করতে হঠাৎ দূর থেকে ট্রেন এর আওয়াজ কানে এলো।  বড় অদ্ভুত এই স্মৃতিচারণের জগৎ। এক ঝলক এ বহুবছর পূর্বে ভাসিয়ে নিয়ে চলে গেলো : ছোটবেলার কথাগুলো, খড়্গপুরের  সব স্মৃতির ঢেউ হয়ে মনে আছাড় দেয়। একটা বয়েস এর পর বোধহয় সবার স্মৃতির কৌটো গুলো এক এক করে জীবনের আলমারির সব তাক ভরিয়ে দেয়।  আর বাকি জীবন টা সেই তাক থেকে একটা একটা কৌটো নামিয়ে পরিষ্কার করে আবার সযত্নে তুলে রাখতে রাখতেই অতিবাহিত হয়ে যায়।  বিছানায় শুয়ে শুয়ে বড় মনে পড়ছিলো আমাদের ছোটবেলার কথাগুলো, খড়্গপুরের স্মৃতিগুলো : আমাদের খড়্গপুর আর সেরকম নেই জানি।  থাকবেই বা কি করে ? যারা সেই ভিটে কে মামাবাড়ি করে তুলেছিল, তারা তো সকলেই এক এক করে চলে গেলো।  ছোটরা পরিবার-বন্ধুদের মায়া ত্যাগ করে কর্মসন্ধানে বিদেশে পাড়ি দিলো আর বড়োরা একেবারে ইহলোকের মায়া ত্যাগ করে পরলোকগমন করলেন।  একটা প্রকান্ড বাড়ি কৌশল্যা মোড়ের মাথা